Thursday, April 23, 2009

Disrespect

Last night as I left Safeway with a pack of strawberry milkshake flavored OREOS, and a bottle of Niacin, 500g., one of the neighbors hailed me.

"Hey..."

I recognized him from last weekend, when he had started up a conversation, but I unfortunately could NOT understand what he was saying to me. He has a deep southern accent from somewhere I've never been, and he also has a bit of a speech impediment. I had thought, last weekend, that he was asking me for change, and not having any, I had told him "I'll be back...."

Which i wasn't. and then I forgot about it.

Until last night.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi...." I walked over to his usual spot next to the second pillar. He started talking, and I had to interrupt.

"I'm really sorry, but I absolutely can't understand what you are saying."

He pulled his furry hood back so that I could see his grizzled, shaven head. Surprisingly, it DID help me understand his speech.

"I apologize for disrespecting you the last time I saw you," he said.

"You disrespected me?"

"Yes. I apologize."

"Well, what the heck. That's ok." I patted him on the shoulder. "Not to worry."

I hurried through the rain drops from the front door of Safeway to my back door and disappeared inside to the warmth.

Who is this guy? And why does he think he disrespected me last time? Did he say something awful after I said, "I'll be back"? Why did't I ask him to clarify the whole thing?

This is another thing about being OLD. I STILL have the same weird shyness I had as a kid. It pops out on odd occasions--like whenever anyone tries to TALK to me. I'm sorry I didn't ask him WHY he "disrespected" me. Maybe I actually DID disrespect HIM. Clearly I have lots left to learn.

No comments: